As a freelance UX designer with substantial experience in ad tech, fin tech, ed tech, and mar tech, I’ve spent many years designing experiences for large companies. I was the UX lead/manager for DFP by Google for several years, before serving as the interim design lead for Google Classroom. I have also worked on product design for Apple, The Paperless Post, Conde Nast, and countless other software products and marketing websites.
Now, I work as a consultant helping clients identify their business objectives and users’ motivations. I work with them to design experiences and user flows that make sense, with deliverables that range from low- to high-fidelity.
UX and product design consulting might include:
- Conducting user research to determine user personas and use cases
- Conducting usability studies to identify pain points in existing UIs and workflows
- Creating user flows and high-level information architecture site maps
- Constructing wireframes to show content organization
- Creating prototypes and usability testing to test design concepts
Learn more about how I view UX as a discipline is my recent writing, What is UX Design?
But user experience doesn’t exist in a vacuum; I’m hands-on also deeply involved in implementation:
- I have a strong background in visual identity and design
- I am a skilled front-end developer with extensive knowledge and hands-on experience with building sites using WordPress. (I’ve been coding HTML and CSS since the mid 1990s, and continue to be involved in the open source community as a contributor, speaker, and writer.)
- Strong background in writing and communication
Though my background includes a lot of self-teaching and hands-on experience, I’m academically trained as well; I hold a Master’s in interactive technology from the ITP program (Tisch School of the Arts, New York University), and studied both computer science and design throughout undergrad (Macalester College) and after (School of Visual Arts). I also have experience teaching (adjunct faculty, interaction design, BFA program at FIT).
Finally, I’m passionate about small business and the magic that happens within small, analytical creative teams and studio environments. If you’re looking for full creative design and WordPress services, check out my small, NYC-based design and development studio, Studio Simpatico.